Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
Mainly, the program aims to prepare national cadres qualified and trained on the ground in various areas of urban planning and its developed techniques, able to develop plans and strategies related to the development of the physical and spatial environment, which contribute to achieving the objectives of development plans and meet the requirements of the labor market, and improve the living conditions of the population and the development of Palestinian society to be within affluent societies.
The specific objectives of this program can be summarized as follows:
- Provide students with the foundations and principles that help to improve the spatial, economic and social environment.
- Cover the need of the public sector (municipalities, ministries and concerned institutions) and the private sector (engineering offices and consulting firms) of specialists in the field of urban planning and development.
- Provide students with techniques and skills related to planning in order to facilitate their practice.
- Improve and strengthen the practice of urban planning and development in Palestine.
- Contribute to cover the need of neighboring Arab countries as well as Gulf countries for planners, to follow accelerated urban developments, as well as the face of urban and environmental problems and challenges.
The program is directly linked with the local community by the practical application of most of the theoretical course and planning studios level through the implementation of studies, surveys, projects, urban plans, and development & strategic plans, which are implemented in cooperation and coordination with the relevant authorities, the local bodies (municipalities, village councils) and joint services councils, relevant ministries (such as local Government, planning, public Works & Housing, Tourism & Antiquities, Transportation, etc.).
- M.O.U. between the university and the Ministry of Local Government based on the role of the staff and students through the courses to assist in the preparation of studies, surveys and urban plans. This M.O.U. includes other areas such as raising awareness and establish joint exhibitions, partnership in specialized conferences and workshops, providing consultancy and technical assistance necessary in the various areas of planning, participation in the exchange of local and international expertise in the areas of planning and the revival of the historic centers, the preparation of training manuals in the revival and renewal of historic centers or other planning areas.
- Joint cooperation project between the department and the faculty of planning and geography in the Territories, Cities, Environment and Society Laboratory (T.V.E.S.) at Lille 1 University (France) on an exchange of professors and students, providing training opportunities for students, implementation of joint research and studies.
Teaching and Learning
- Lectures, panel discussions, working groups, preparation and presentation of studies and research, homework.
- The use of computer programs and techniques and their applications in the field of urban planning (such as GIS, Remote Sensing, AutoCAD, Visualization, and others).
- Encourage teamwork in most of the projects within the planning studios.
- Encourage the use of electronic libraries (E-libraries) as these type of libraries will be the predominant type in the near future.
- Proving advice and guidance for students by professors (along with discussion and debate within the planning studios) mediated by the means of social communication and location of the university’sZajelwebsite at any time and without having to be in a certain place and time.
- Promote self-learning for students to the content of websites of pictorial and read information that facilitates self-learning process.
- Make use of visual techniques to show the experiences and case studies related to the theoretical and practical courses (the planning studios).
Coursework and Assessment
- Direct exams for students.
- Oral exams and quizzes.
- Develop a research working papers.
- Evaluation of practical works (projects and plans) related to some courses like the planning studios.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 30, 2018