What do zebrafish have in common with a new osteoporosis medicine? Everything! As a biologist or medical biologist, you will try to solve problems in the fields of genetics, cell biology, neuroscience and cognition, environment, and climate. With this Bachelor's programme, you will learn everything about microbiology, evolution and molecular biology. In the lab and the greenhouse, you study the underground life of plants. You will investigate brain activity with MRI scanners. Using microscopes, you will look at the life at the level of cells. Do you want to understand the living world around you? Discover Biology and Medical Biology in Nijmegen!
What is this programme about?
In the Bachelor’s in Biology and Medical Biology you will become expert in the field of biology, in a broad sense. You might recognize these topics from secondary school. That knowledge is deepened in this programme. Students follow lectures and do research projects on plants, animals, micro-organisms, ecosystems, biochemistry, and genetics. You will discover the link between biology and other fields of science like math, chemistry, and physics. Finally, you will learn how to apply your knowledge, for example in sustainable agriculture, managing pollution, and treating hereditary diseases or brain disorders.
Why study Biology and Medical Biology at Radboud University?
- The programme lays the foundation in Biology or Medical Biology but also offers a lot of flexibility. First, you’ll develop an understanding of the entire field of biology by following courses from all learning trajectories. Later on, you will choose the learning trajectory of your interest in Biology or Medical Biology.
- You will make use of excellent research facilities. For example, brand new greenhouses, the Phytotron (root laboratory), and scanners for measuring brain activity.
- You will do an internship with one of the Radboud University research groups. During this three-month internship, you’ll develop research skills and perform part of the leading research conducted at our university. Perhaps you will even get the chance to choose your own research project!
- Students receive excellent guidance. Student advisors and tutors answer all your questions. Teachers and students have regular, informal contact during lectures and tutorials.
- Study association BeeVee takes care of the necessary relaxation during your time as a student. BeeVee helps you with your studying and career, but also organizes activities that allow you to meet your fellow students, alumni, and teachers.
Admission requirements Biology
Before you can enroll in Biology, you must meet the admission requirements. You need to have received sufficient previous education in the Netherlands or abroad, proven by a diploma, and you need to be proficient in English, in some cases proven by a certificate.
Dutch educational qualifications
If you have obtained, or will obtain, a VWO diploma, you will be admitted if you meet the following requirements:
- A VWO diploma of the profiles Nature & Technology, Nature & Health, Economy & Society and Culture & Society is accepted for direct admission if they include all four of the following subjects: Biology, Mathematics A or B, Physics, and Chemistry. Should you not have taken Biology, Mathematics A or B, Physics and/or Chemistry, then you are conditionally admissible and need to pass a CCVX or Boswell-Bèta test in the deficient subjects
- you do not have to obtain an English language certificate if you obtain (or will obtain) a VWO diploma (but should you have one, you may include it upon your application)
- If you do not meet the requirements above and are at least 21 years of age, then you could take part in a colloquium doctum, an entrance examination.
The Central Student Administration will process applications of students who hold of the diplomas described above. The Central Student Administration can be contacted via (+31) (0)24 361 23 45 or email@example.com.
International educational qualifications
If you have completed or will complete a study programme abroad, your previous education will be assessed by the Admissions Officer of the Faculty of Science to determine whether it is of sufficient level. If the level is sufficient, then you could be directly admissible or additional conditions may apply (such as taking an English or Mathematics test). For accepted English tests, please see below. For Mathematics tests: we accept the Mathematics B tests from the CCVX and Boswell-Bèta. If you have any questions about whether you qualify for admission, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should you obtain a German diploma, one from the UK or USA, an International Baccalaureate or European Baccalaureate, please download the diploma-specific admission requirements from the website to check whether you can be admitted directly or have to take an additional test.
You should have sufficient proficiency in English. This requirement is fulfilled when you meet one of the following conditions:
- obtained a Dutch VWO diploma
- obtained a German Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife, and English has a minimum grade 08 as final year subject (either “geprüft” or “ungeprüft”)
- obtained an International Baccalaureate diploma
- obtained a European Baccalaureate diploma, in which the course English Language 2 or 1 has been taken
- obtained GCE A-levels from AQA, Edexcel, OCR, WJEC or CCEA in the UK or outside the UK
- obtained an American High School Diploma in the US or outside the US
- obtained a diploma in which English has been part of the final examinations
- obtained a diploma equivalent to or higher than the DutchVWO level by completing education at an institution in one of the member states of the EU/EEA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, or the United States of America, where the language of instruction is English
- you are a citizen of Australia, Canada (with exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, the UK, or the USA
If you do not meet one of the conditions above, you must fulfill one the following requirements:
- obtain an IELTS Academic certificate with a result of at least 6.5 on the overall band and scores of at least 6.0 on all four sub-bands
- obtain a TOEFL iBT certificate with a total score of at least 90 and scores of at least 20 on all four parts
- obtain a Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English with a mark of at least C
- obtain a Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English with a mark of at least C
You will be informed about the admission results within two weeks after the receipt of all required documents. Please find out how to apply and what documents to send at Application and enrolment.
The information above has been compiled with the great care and should contain no errors. However, no rights can be derived from its content.
If you choose Biology, you will quickly find that it is a compelling and broad field. However, do you know what you want to do after? Do you want to become a researcher, or do you prefer consulting companies, or maybe teaching? We provide you with all kinds of opportunities to discover your strengths and which direction you would like to pursue. This way, you will be ready to tackle the job market when you graduate.
Preparation for the job market
During the Bachelor’s programme, there are plenty of opportunities to explore job market. What kind of job would you like? How can you land a job? How do you write a CV and what happens during a job interview? You will learn about this through:
- meetings with your student advisor
- guest lecturers from different fields
- a course in career orientation
- following courses with other programmes
- the Bachelor’s and Master’s portfolio
- lectures by alumni
Do you want to work as a researcher, prefer to consult in business, or want to teach in secondary school? The field of Biology is wide and gives you lots of options in the job market. You could, for example, work as a researcher, teacher, consultant, or a policymaker.
People who graduated from this programme work in jobs such as:
- Researcher for universities, hospitals, research institutes (RIVM, TNO), or companies
- Teacher in secondary school or higher education
- Consultant for a consultancy company
- Consultant for companies in agriculture and pharmaceutical industry (AkzoNobel, DSM)
- Policymaker for a non-profit organization, environment federation, or government
- Project leader/manager in a business or other organization.
Every year, students organize the BBB Career Event (BBB) to connect with the job market. This event is the perfect place for students and companies to meet. It gives an up-to-date view of the developments in the job market and you can see which jobs might be interesting for you. The Career Service Science is also at your disposal to answer any questions concerning career orientation. They can help you find internships and vacancies, as well as giving you tips for your cover letter and CV.
Want to know more?
Would you like to learn more about this programme and Radboud University? Join us for our Bachelor's Open Day on 30 March 2019! To learn more and register for this exciting event, visit www.ru.nl/bachelors/openday.
Program taught in: