Most psychology programs focus on only theory and research. At LMU, we focus on all four areas of psychology--theory, research, self-understanding, and practice--to provide you with the most comprehensive understanding of the field. And because our program offers an extensive internship program, you'll get the work experience you need for an immediate job in the field of psychology.
At LMU, you'll apply what you've learned. All of our majors conduct research projects and present their findings at conferences. They also get firsthand experience working in psychological services through our senior internship program.
The program allows you the flexibility to minor in a variety of areas, such as gerontology, sociology, Appalachian studies or criminal justice, and take coursework in forensic psychology, the psychology of creativity and health psychology.
LMU also offers a unique opportunity for students seeking to enter the medical profession. After successful completion of the Pre-Med track, graduates are guaranteed an interview with LMU's DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine. This is a special opportunity for international students who are normally not able to enter U.S medical schools because of long waiting lists.
Four Year Plans
Any track in psychology can be a pathway leading to the study of medicine.
- Psychology-Counseling- Four Year Plan
- Psychology-General- Four Year Plan
- Psychology-Science & Research- Four Year Plan
As a major, you'll take the following sequence of courses:
- Freshman Year
- Introduction to Psychology
- Sophomore Year
- Child and Adolescent Psychology
- Adult Development
- Interpersonal & Group Dynamics
- Statistical Methods for the Social Sciences
- Human Learning and Cognition
- Junior Year
- History and Systems of Psychology
- Theories of Personality
- Abnormal Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Research in Psychology
- Physiological & Perceptual Psychology
- Senior Year
- Counseling Theories & Techniques
- Psychological Test & Measurements
- Experimental Psychology
- Seminar & Internship in Psychological Services
Students may choose from three program tracks, including the above dual track, as well as the counseling or the science tracks.
Students in the program intern at a host of facilities. These include:
- Blount Memorial Hospital Emotional Health & Recovery Center, Maryville, TN
- CRCC Centers, Middlesboro, KY, and Corbin, KY
- Helen Ross McNabb Center Children & Youth Center, Knoxville, TN
- Knox County Detention Facility, Knoxville, TN
- Pineville Schools, Pineville, KY
- Peninsula Lighthouse Center, Knoxville, TN
- Peninsula Psychiatric Hospital, Alcoa, TN
- Tennova Hospital A&D Unit, Knoxville, TN
Our graduates who begin their careers immediately after graduation find employment in entry-level mental health counseling positions; in various fields of psychology, such as health care, business, corrections; and in psychology-related positions in research.
Last year, five of our graduates completed their master's degrees from various universities in the region.
Our graduates are working in mental health areas that include:
- Community mental health
- Substance abuse counseling
- Child and family services
- School psychology and school counseling
- Social services
- Residential treatment facilities
Graduate & Professional Opportunities
LMU'S program has an outstanding reputation among graduate schools in the region. Our graduates have a very high acceptance rate into Graduate and Professional Programs such as the University of Tennessee, University of Kentucky, East Tennessee State University and Eastern Kentucky University.
Among employers, our graduates receive top priority and are employed by the top regional treatment facilities. Most of our graduating seniors receive job offers before they graduate, many from their internship sites.
Clubs & Organizations
Our majors can participate in a variety of activities through membership in the Psychology Club and may qualify for membership in Psi Chi, the national honor society in psychology.
Program taught in: