International Studies is a multidisciplinary major which offers students the opportunity to become global citizens by learning the complexity of international affairs through a variety of academic perspectives, including economics, foreign language, history, and political science. The study of history provides students with rigorous preparation and broad knowledge of world cultures, and political science provides them with the ability to analyze the consequences of international events. The study of economics and foreign language (French, Russian, and Spanish are offered) gives them valuable quantitative and communication skills that strengthen their career choices.
- African Politics & Literature
- Comparative Government
- Political Geography
- Latin America
- Politics and Human Rights
- Principles of Economics
- International Politics
- Sub-Saharan Africa
- Southeast Asia
There are over 50 clubs and organizations available to students at Ferrum College. These are specifically related to International Studies:
- Alpha Mu Gamma: Honorary foreign language group
- Model UN
- Phi Alpha Theta: History Honor Society
- Pi Sigma Alpha: Political Science National Honor Society
- Russian Club
- SEPAC: Student Engagement in Political Action and Community
- The Passport: Student Publication
- Ferrum College believes in hands-on learning in tandem with classroom and textbook studies. Here is how: Internships: Students are strongly urged to explore career opportunities and to establish mentors through an internship.
- Study Abroad: Ferrum College has many opportunities for students to travel to various countries in order to better understand the changing nature of international politics. Some programs offer summers, semesters, or years in such countries such as England, Ireland, France, Canada, Russia, Kenya, and Korea.
- Annual Model United Nations Security Council Simulation Exercise: A role-playing experience designed to convey the full richness, complexity, drama, and importance of international affairs. The Model United Nations is a full-day activity that provides students with the opportunity to act as international policymakers seeking to resolve serious and sometimes protracted crises.
What can I be with a major in International Studies?
- Corporate Trade Manager
- Customs Officer
- Financial/Trade Analyst
- Foreign Service Officer
- International Banker
- International Civil Servant
- Legislative Aide
- Public Relations Specialist
- Travel Agent
About the School
We are committed to academic excellence and we believe our students deserve to achieve successful outcomes before they even graduate. Our current students participate in opportunities that strengthen ... Read More