This degree has evolved as the needs of the modern journalist have changed and escalated. The program gives students essential professional experiences, as well as practical and philosophical tools such as ethics, reporting, editing, and publication law.
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Science in Journalism in Journalism?
When you read or watch the news, do you have an eye for accuracy, fairness, good storytelling, and professionalism? If you're the kind of person who believes that the world deserves the clearest possible view of important news, a degree in journalism might be a great fit for you. Careers in this field are fast-paced, diverse, and critical to a healthy democracy.
Coursework for a journalism degree at Northern Arizona University will engage you as you develop tangible skills and theoretical knowledge. Required coursework will foster your competence in written, oral, and visual communication. Specialized professional skills in ethics, environmental issues, reporting and editing, and communication and publication law will round out your expertise.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Editor, print or online
- News director
- Investigative Journalist
- Public information officer
- Media relations
- Documentary films
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- University professor
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
This school offers programs in: