The aim of the Program is to prepare students professionally as Civil Engineers for employment in the private and public sectors of industry and provide the academic background to fulfil the obligations of the Civil Engineer in a highly diverse environment.
The Program focuses on the provision of knowledge and skills in the following broad areas of concentration:
- Structural Engineering: provides fundamental and modern structural engineering topics that allow a combination of analytical and design skills, as well as experimental techniques and the use of computers reflecting current and likely future practice, to effectively function in the world of modern structural environment practices.
- Geotechnical Engineering: enables graduates to take leading roles in planning, evaluating, designing, constructing, maintaining, and managing the geotechnical infrastructure.
- Hydraulic & Environmental Engineering: to provide students 1) the ability to discuss important issues that relate to environmental pollution and the possible solutions, 2) the skills to design and implement solutions to a variety of problems related to water & wastewater treatment, solid waste management, and air pollution control, 3) an understanding of the needs set by the new Sustainable Development targets of the EU
- Materials Engineering: understand and use the properties and applications of modern materials in the design and construction of civil engineering structures
- Construction Management: this area is geared towards providing the state-of-the-art skills necessary for graduates to enter construction management practice, for structural, environmental, or hydraulics engineering works, or management teams.
Specializations in Civil Engineering
The Department of Civil Engineering, in addition to the general Civil Engineering direction, offers the option to Civil Engineering students to specialize in certain areas of Civil Engineering that are of increasing importance in Cyprus, as well as the international environment. The program currently offers two specializations as briefly described below.
Cyprus has recently positioned itself on the energy map through the discovery of significant reserves of natural gas and possibly oil as well in its Exclusive Economic Zone in the Eastern Mediterranean. Geophysical investigations and extensive investigative drilling are already underway and exploration contracts have been signed by international companies. Through these offshore geological investigations for oil and gas reservoirs and the upstream production and exploitation of hydrocarbons it is estimated that about 6,000 new job vacancies will be created in this field, with the majority of these falling in the sections of engineering and technology. Currently, the Cyprus government and the Ministries of Education and Energy urge local Universities to offer knowledge and education to local engineering graduates which will strengthen their possibilities to be employed in the oil and gas industry.
The proposed specialization is “Petroleum Geotechnics” addresses a number of key issues directly relevant to oil and gas exploration as follows:
- Oil & Gas Geology
- Petroleum Geomechanics
- Seismology & Geophysics
- Oil & Gas Exploitations
- Environmental Hazards and Management
Sustainable Built Environment Specialization
The purpose of the proposed direction is to offer students of the Civil Engineering Department the option to focus on the field of the sustainable built environment. Following the Europe 2020 strategy, the concept of sustainability in the built environment has become imperative. This need is expressed in civil engineering in the following fields:
- Whole Life Management of Sustainable Construction,
- Buildings’ energy upgrade,
- Buildings’ renovation,
- Promotion of innovative green building materials,
- Fundamentals on construction aspects of renewable energy sources applications,
- The implementation of environmental impact assessment tools in the building sector
The language of instruction for both specializations, as well as the general program, is English.
Key Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate the knowledge and possess the skills for employment in the private and public sectors of the economy and building industry, as professional Civil Engineers.
- Ability to interpret and evaluate engineering problems.
- Reason, analytically and abstractly, problems of civil engineering nature.
- Understand concepts related to the practical engineering environment
- Design and manage civil engineering-related projects
- Identify and employ appropriate techniques and technologies for addressing formulated problems
- Exhibit awareness of the major issues at the frontiers of civil engineering
- Interface with other disciplines for investigating and establishing the extent to which civil engineering could contribute to the resolution of specific problems.
- Demonstrate competency in oral and written communication skills, as well as in the use of relevant civil engineering-related technologies, methods and tools.
Occupational Profiles of the Graduates
The graduates of the Program are equipped with the knowledge and skills to design, create, maintain and expand civil engineering systems that address a wide variety of concerns, including those of a structural, geotechnical, environmental, hydraulics, materials, construction management nature. They can work in civil engineering-related posts in the private and public sector. Such posts may include civil and environmental engineering analysis and design teams, teams for on-site supervision of projects, as well as teams that set or monitor the effectiveness of legal tools for civil engineering projects.
The programme will also provide valuable background expertise for those wishing to enter into asset management or to begin to pursue a career in research and development.
The graduates of the program are eligible to register to the Technical Chamber of Cyprus (ETEK)
Click here for more information
Program taught in: