Biology is one of the most exciting scientific disciplines of the 21st century. The insights it provides into life processes, together with advances in genomics, diagnostics and therapeutic drug development, are having a major impact on humanity.
The BSc Biological Sciences programme provides you with a comprehensive introduction to the biosciences, equipping you with knowledge and skills from bioinformatics and biotechnology to cell signalling, genomics and structural biology.
This degree programme is one of the first in the world to be awarded international accreditation by the Royal Society of Biology.
Why Should I Study Biological Sciences at XJLTU?
- Attractively located with many biotechnology companies nearby in BioBay, a national biotechnology hub with over 400 companies which is ideal for internships.
- Highly international, research-active environment with academic staff trained at globally respected universities and institutes across the world.
- Nearby Cold Spring Harbor Asia hosts prestigious scientific symposia, conferences and summer schools providing our students with the opportunity to interact with world-famous researchers.
- Earn two degrees: an XJTLU degree from the Chinese Ministry of Education and a globally recognised degree from the University of Liverpool, a member of the Russell Group of leading UK universities.
International accreditation by the Royal Society of Biology. assures excellence in teaching, curriculum provision and technical skills development as well the capacity of a programme to enhance graduate employability skills.
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from the BSc Biological Sciences programme, you will:
- understand major issues and challenges in biomedical sciences
- be able to understand and describe biological systems
- have the skills and understanding to design and conduct experiments and investigations
- appreciate the moral, social, and ethical issues associated with research and development in the biosciences
UK degrees are three years long whereas in China they are four, therefore we do accept students with certain qualifications directly into Year Two, which is the start of the main academic programme. Most students, however, enter into Year One, which provides you with a range of interesting modules, language classes, and core skills for your degree. In addition, students who enroll for the BSc Biological Science programme will study two subject-specific modules (Introductory Biology, and Key Skills for Biologists) and select additional elective modules.
Choose from one of the following:
Our graduates find career opportunities in the fields of biochemistry, genetics, microbiology, and molecular biology and are well-equipped with the scientific knowledge, experimental techniques, and key skills required by industry, research institutions and universities, government and public services. Biology graduates are multi-skilled professionals who are qualified for a wide range of employment prospects. Graduates from our programme also have a sound foundation to pursue masters or PhD study in related fields.
Further study opportunities are available to graduates from our department including:
- biotechnology and nanotechnology
- chemical and pharmaceutical
- basic and applied research institutes
- government and public sectors (health services, quality control, forensic science, and environmental protection)
Entry into Year One
We welcome applications from high-quality candidates in all subjects with appropriate high school or equivalent qualifications. Students will normally be expected to have a high standing in their high school performance with a minimum ‘B’ average in all subjects as well as relevant subjects.
Entry into Year Two
Students who have completed A-levels or International Baccalaureate (or equivalent) will be considered for entry into Year Two, different programmes have different subject-relevant requirements.
- A-level: BBB
- IB Diploma: 30 points
- Advanced Placement Tests/Subject SATS--High school diploma with a GPA of 3.0 or above, plus:
- Redesigned SAT: 1280+ (students that took the SATs previous to 2016 will require 1800+) or ACT: 27, and 2 AP examinations: 4+ or 2 SAT subject tests: 600+ or